Homeless Fee Exemption submission dates
Summer 2018 Homeless Fee Exemption applications will be accepted from March 21 - April 13.
Who is eligible for the exemption?
In order to qualify for a fee exemption as a result of homelessness, the student must meet the criteria outlined in Florida Statute 1009.25(1)(f):
- A student who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence; or
- Primary nighttime residence is a public or private shelter designed to provide temporary residence for individuals intended to be institutionalized, or
- A public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.
NOTE:SPC Defines temporary as 12 months or less.
What does the exemption cover?
Tuition and fees, including lab fees
What is the student's responsibility?
- Obtain the Homeless Certification Checklist from SPC Registration, Business Office, or Financial Assistance Services
- Apply for Admissions
- The Admissions Application fee will be waived upfront, if needed.
- If the homeless exemption is denied, the Admissions Application fee waiver will be backed out. If the student enrolls, the Admissions Application fee waiver will show as an amount due.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Register for classes during the term you are applying for the homeless exemption
- You must get in-person student loan counseling with a Financial Aid Counselor once per academic year if you will be receiving a student loan, otherwise your loan disbursement will be place on hold.
- Provide original documentation on letterhead for proof of homelessness as defined by Florida Statute 1009.25(1)(f), i.e. letter from a publicly or privately operated homeless shelter, food/clothing bank, transitional ministry, etc. The letter must include contact information and the date for which services began.
- Return the completed Homeless Certification Checklist to SPC Registration or the Business Office
- Complete the Certification of Homelessness that will be provided by SPC Registration or the Business Office each term.
- Start date for submission: Certification of Homelessness application period begins the first day of regular term registration.
- Deadline for submission: Universal Due Date for the regular term.
- If you change your schedule during the term, you will need to submit a Homeless Fee Exemption Change in Enrollment Form.
- Complete items 1-9 above
- If you fully withdraw from ALL classes in any term in which the Homeless Fee Exemption is used, you will not be eligible for future Homeless Fee Exemptions.
- You must complete a My Learning Plan in order to be considered for future Homeless Fee Exemptions.
- You must provide a Florida ID in order to be considered for future Homeless Fee Exemptions.
To obtain FL ID: Florida of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
SPC Student Assistance Program