To be initially eligible for a Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, the student must:
- Meet certain academic requirements
- Apply for Bright Futures Scholarship no later than Aug. 31 after high school graduation
- List SPC as the institution you are attending on your Bright Futures state account
- Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
- Have been a Florida resident for at least one year
- Be a degree-seeking student enrolled in a Bright Futures eligible program
- Be enrolled in at least 6 college-level non-remedial credit hours
- Have not previously received a bachelor's degree
- Must not owe a repayment or be in default under any state or federal grant or loan program
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is not a requirement to receive Bright Futures; however, SPC Financial Assistance Services recommends you submit the FAFSA.
Verification and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) do not affect Bright Futures eligibility. However, if you are selected for verification or are not meeting SAP, you are encouraged to complete these items by submitting the necessary documents.
Note: An initially eligible student who enlists in the military immediately after high school graduation begins the two-year or three-year (depending on the high school graduation year) period upon date of separation from active duty.
For additional information on Bright Futures eligibility.