Your financial need determines your eligibility for financial aid. Generally, to qualify for federal, state, and/or institutional assistance, you must:

What if I have a change in my income or would like to be considered for a Dependency Override? 

See more information on Professional Judgment.

What classes are used in the calculation of your financial aid awards? 

At the time of registration in MySPC, you will be informed if the coursework you are registering for satisfies a requirement for your current degree program.

Financial Assistance Services wants you to maximize your federal financial aid eligibility. To do so, make sure to register only for courses that are within your current degree program. For this purpose, students who are working towards an Associate's Degree in Arts (AA), regardless of the degree plan and including those in AA-Transfer Plans, are viewed as though they are in a General AA degree. This is also true for Program Based Academic Standing.

If you choose to register for classes that do not complete requirements of your current degree program, those courses will not be used in the calculation of your financial aid awards. If the financial aid package for your other courses is not enough to cover the full cost of your classes, you will be responsible for any unpaid tuition and fees.

If you have any courses for which you will be requesting an alternative satisfaction, you must request approval from the academic dean of those courses.

Financial aid does not pay for credit hours that are audited. Non-credit continuing education and non-credit Corporate Training classes are not eligible for financial aid funding.

Remedial credit hours 

Federal aid is available for up to 30 remedial credit hours. Once a student attempts 30 remedial credit hours, federal aid will be awarded for college-level credits only. The following required prerequisites - MAT 1033, MAT 1033L, and MAT 1100 - can be paid with financial aid as remedial courses when considering the 30 remedial credit hour limit; however, unlike the typical remedial courses, these courses will be counted when calculating Completion Ratio and Maximum Time Frame for Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Transfer and transient students 

See more financial aid information for transfer students and transient students.

Study Abroad 

Students enrolled in an approved Study Abroad program can be reviewed for financial aid eligibility.


You must submit all required transcripts and allow time for their evaluation before you are eligible to receive financial assistance. In order to be degree-seeking at SPC, you must have a high school diploma or GED.

Eligibility videos

Ability to Benefit