Types of financial aid

AnnouncementQuick Reference
Use our convenient, printable Quick Reference Sheet for an overview of the grants, scholarships, student employment and loans offered to SPC students.

The amounts and types of financial aid you receive are determined through federal, state and institutional guidelines. Most federal financial aid is based on financial need.

Grants are awarded through federal, state and institutional sources and are based on financial need. Grants are regarded as "gift" aid and do not need to be repaid.

Scholarships are provided through the SPC Foundation, corporations, private donors and the college itself. Scholarships are regarded as "gift" aid and do not need to be repaid.

Student employment is offered through the college. Student employees are paid an hourly rate for work performed.

Loans are offered at low interest rates and can be repaid over an extended period of time.

Financial Assistance Services will verify your eligibility based on the information you provide on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the first step in applying for any financial aid.


If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling. If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career. If you are the spouse of child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you. See more on Veterans.

What is the difference between a grant and a loan?