Make a difference in a child's life!
America Reads and America Counts
is a program that provides Federal Work Study assignments for eligible college students to tutor elementary and middle school children.
The Federal Work Study (FWS) program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient’s course of study. Participation in the FWS program is contingent on possessing the skills to do the job, as well as performing in a satisfactory manner.
Types of jobs
SPC has three options for students in the Federal Work Study program:
- Community Service - designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs
- America Reads - tutoring elementary school students in reading
- America Counts - tutoring middle school students in math
- Rate of pay - $11.29 per hour
- Working in different departments on campus
- Rate of pay - $9.66 per hour
- Financial Assistance Services Peer Advisor
- Assist Financial Assistance Services on campus and in the Cyber Center by providing general information and assistance to students at the initial and intermediate stages of the financial aid process. Determine services needed by the student and refer them accordingly.
- Rate of pay - $10.56 per hour
How you are paid
You will be paid biweekly at the rates listed above. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total FWS award. When assigning work hours, your employer or Financial Aid Administrator will consider your award amount, your class schedule, and your academic progress.