Frequently Asked Questions


What are the eligibility requirements to participate in a study abroad program?

Approval for participation in the program is subject to the following. Each participant must:

  • Be a college student with a high school diploma, to participate in a traditional Study Abroad program or be registered as dual enrolled (*) to participate in a high school Study Abroad program.
  • Be in good academic standing at the time of application (cannot be on academic warning, probation or suspension).
  • Be enrolled for credit in an approved Study Abroad program course.
  • Meet with an academic advisor to go over any or all prerequisites needed to enroll in the course have been met.
  • Submit all required forms and documentation
  • Interview with and be approved by program's lead faculty member.
  • Be approved by the Center for International Programs.

Dual Enrolled (*)

If you are in any of the following SPC High School Programs you are considered a Dual Enrolled student eligible for SPC high school Study Abroad programs.  Please check with your SPC high school advisor for possible scheduling conflicts.

  • Dual Enrolled
  • Early College
  • Early Admission
  • Collegiate High School

Participation as a dual enrolled student is subject to approval of this application and an interview conducted by the high school Study Abroad program’s lead faculty member or designee, as well as any stated prerequisites or additional eligibility requirements.

Can I participate in more than one study abroad program?

Yes, as long as you are able to finance the programs and the program schedules do not conflict.

Do I need to enroll for the course or courses that are offered through the study abroad program?

Yes, all students must register for at least one course offered through the study abroad program.

Do I still have to register for the courses if I have already satisfied the credit or taken the course successfully?

Yes, you must register for at least one course that is offered through the study abroad program. If you have already taken the course and successfully satisfied the requirements, then the course will count as elective credit.

Can I take another course that is not offered through the study abroad program?

No. Students can only register for the course or courses offered through each program.

Is financial aid available for study abroad programs?

Yes, financial aid is available, but you must speak to a financial aid advisor prior to the study abroad application deadline. You may also research other options on SPC's financial aid website.

Can non-SPC students participate in SPC study abroad programs?

Yes, you need to register as a transient student for at least one course that is offered through the study abroad program. If you are not a Florida resident, then you will have to pay out-of-state fees for tuition. You are responsible for insuring that your college/university will accept credits from SPC.

Can I bring family or friends along with me on a study abroad program?

Yes, but they must be enrolled as a student and meet the study abroad requirements to participate in the program.

Can I travel on my own after the study abroad program ends?

Yes, students may travel on their own after the program ends (except for high school programs), but they must notify the Center for International Programs Office. Students are responsible for paying and arranging all their travel plans after the program has ended. (Refer to #34 on the application)